Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Family Home Evening Chart



I saw something like this on display at Robert's MONTHS ago and bought the plaque but never got around to it. I decided this would be a CUTE Christmas present for my brother and his family so here it is!! Sorry I didn't take pictures along the way, but I'll tell you how I did it. (The plaque is usually $20, but it was on sale for $12, AND I had a 50% off coupon!)


1. Measure your paper and cut it to the correct size to cover the metal sheet. Remember your seams and how you want them to look. (i.e. Try to make stripes match in the middle etc.)

2. Paint the wood whatever color you want. I choose dark dark brown. It's ok if you get paint on the metal because you can scratch it off with your fingernail. Paint front and back with 2-3 coats.

3. Mod-Podge your paper to the sheet metal. This can be tricky if you've never Mod Podged before!!

4. Let the whole thing dry for a couple of hours before you mess with it again. While it dries you can prepare your name plates/job plates.

5. Place the family name and FHE words on the wood. I used stickers from American Crafts (Thanks to the M-I-L!) because I don't have a cricuit but I imagine a Cricuit would be PERFECT for this job because you can customize the size/font you want.

6. Spray over the whole front and back with Acrylic Spray. Let it sit for a few hours before touching it and DO NOT lay anything on top of it for a few days!

7. Measure the ribbon and tie it through the holes. I used green grosgrain.


Name Plates:
1. Buy the needed number of name plates and the color of paper you want to cover the front. I bought wooden rectangles from Robert's for $.40 each. I also included a couple extra for when the family has more kids.

2. Measure the paper for the front of the name plate. Paint the sides and back of the name plate the color you want. (I used brown, the same as the wood.) Repaint with 2-3 coats.

3. Let the paint dry, then Mod Podge the paper to the fronts of the name plates. Do not stack them or lay them upside down for at least 4 days! If my paper ends up hanging off of the sides on parts, I turn it upside down WHEN IT IS A FEW DAYS DRY and razor blade the extra paper off. (The problem with this is I usually knick the wood and have to retouch up the paint on those parts, but the paper fits better.)

4. When your name plates have dried a few days, put you stickers/vinyl names on. To make sure the name is in the middle, I put the middle letter or letters on first right in the middle of the rectangle, then work my way out.

5. Spray your name plates with Acrylic Sealer. ($5 at Michaels.) Spray front and let dry a few hours before you spray the back.

6. Glue a magnet onto the back of each name plate.


Job Plates

1. Buy the needed number of mirrors for your FHE chart. (You could use wooden pieces too, but I thought mirrors would look different!)

2. Apply your letters. (I used Coffee House sticker rolls from Robert's. $.50) You can use vinyl letters from a Cricuit or rub on letters ($8 from Robert's). I tried using the rub on letters first, but there is no way to really seal them on, so if the letters get knicked they will look crappy. Vinyl would be ideal, but stickers did it for me. I had a hard time finding letters small enough for that little mirror!

3. Glue a magnet onto the back of each mirror.

Put your name plates/mirrors into place and you have yourself a pretty dang cute, changable, add-to-able, take-away-able FHE chart!!!


No comments: